If you're wondering if you HAVE to stop nursing just because your baby turned 1 the short answer is no you don't.
Let your child self wean or you can gently wean him or her from nursing.
Our youngest is almost 14 months and I am gently weaning him by removing one nursing session a month and replacing it with a cup of 2% milk. He's down to 2 - 3 sessions per day, so he should be completely weaned by the end of September.
In the second year (12 - 23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
- 29% of energy requirements
- 43% of protein requirements
- 36% of calcium requirements
- 75% of vitamin A requirements
- 76% of folate requirements
- 94% of vitamin B12 requirements
- 60% of vitamin C requirements
- Media Kit