I received the following information from my local WIC office, but wanted to share it with my readers who might be interested in learning more about breastfeeding and why it's best.
The book I am writing this information out of is called Why Should I Nurse My Baby? And Other Questions About Breastfeeding, and is written by Pamela K. Wiggins, IBCLC & Joanna Wiggins Garofalo.
I have nothing against formula as I formula fed both of my kids for 1 year, but this time I want to nurse.
10 Reasons why breastfeeding is best for your baby:
1. Human breastmilk is the perfect food for your baby. It has all the right ingredients in just the right amounts.
2. Breastmilk has special antibodies that help protect your baby from colds, flu, ear infections, and other illnesses.
3. Breastfeeding will help you bond with your baby.
4. Mother's milk is easy to digest. Babies seldom get constipated or have diarrhea.
5. It's easy to comfort your baby at the breast if he gets sick or hurt.
6. Breastfed babies have stronger and straighter teeth. They probably won't need braces.
7. Breastfeeding helps to promote better vision.
8. Because of the special way they suck on the breast, breastfed babies have fewer speech problems.
9. Breastmilk helps develop brain cells and can also help increase your baby's IQ.
10. Breastfeeding gives your baby the best emotional start, helping him grow up with self confidence and trust.
- About Me